Are Oracle Certifications Worth the Cost?

A question every Oracle DBA eventually asks themselves in their career:  should I become Oracle certified?  Also, just how valuable is a certification from Oracle?

I think the answer depends.  I don't view a certification as necessary, but it may be helpful in your circumstances.

I am Oracle certified and did so early on in my career.  I took some time off in between jobs and decided that was a good way to fill my time.  Also, I was already doing DBA work, but hadn't been given the job title "Oracle DBA" (one reason I left my job at that time).  For me, getting certified allowed me to show that although I hadn't obtained the title yet, I had the work experience plus the Oracle verified skill set.

I think hands-on work experience trumps certification.  I don't see many DBA job postings that say a certification is a must.  In a crowded market, it may help your resume stand out though.

I also would not recommend someone who hasn't been in a DBA role to go and get certified in order to obtain an Oracle DBA job.  That's not going to work.  You need to start with an organization and work towards that position and then get certified if you desire it.

I hope these thoughts help you think through whether to get certified or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Auditing user logon and logoff in Oracle

RMAN Restore vs. Recovery - what's the difference?

Use rsync on Unix to backup your archive logs